Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Twist on Teaching Table Manners


To curb the "yuck"s, constant interrupting, and feet…I mean, elbows on the table, I started a reward incentive called “Mind Your Marbles” to motivate my kids to mind their manners.  The kids can each earn marbles by staying in their seats, saying “please” and “thank you”, and – my personal favorite – taking their plates to the sink. The marbles are dropped into their special glasses lined with a decorated index card. Once they fill it half way, they get to choose a yummy dessert. When the glass is filled to the brim, they can choose the entire meal (plus dessert) for the family – or pick a favorite restaurant!  This incentive has worked wonders. My kids are excited to “mind their marbles” and even ask to help set the table to earn extras - gotta love that!

*What works at your dinner table? Thanks for sharing!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! You always have such clever ideas. At dinnertime I just try to close my eyes and wait for it to pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I think I might try it. My 7 year old has the worst time staying sitting in his seat during dinner. Great reward too! Keeping it realistic, and after they have their table manners down...they are ready to eat out right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! btw - I give my kids marbles for good manners at restaurants too. They are getting close to filling up their glasses. Exciting stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and ideas from YOU are simply awesome!