Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful Turkeys

Hey everyone! Forgive the intrusion. I first wanted to give a big "thank you" to Kelli for inviting me to do a guest post on her super-cool blog. This woman is kind of my hero. So seriously, I'm honored.

Before I had children, I had all these really great ideas about how I was going to raise well-mannered, grateful, loving, selfless children. They would delight in raking leaves for the elderly, giving their toys to children in need, and never fight with each other. I know, isn't it cute that I thought that might happen? We live in a very materialistic society, and it can sometimes be a struggle to teach our families to be grateful for the things that we have, instead of focusing so hard on all the things we want.

With the holidays fast approaching, it's a wonderful time of year to focus on our blessings. To jump start our Thanksgiving month, we created a "thankful turkey". (Confession: I kind of have a little thing for turkeys. They are so goofy and cute.) I was super excited to have a turkey for our family gratitude mascot.


This guy was so easy to make. I drew him on a piece of cardstock, colored him, and cut him out. Then came the real fun...naming him. Of course, everyone in the house had a different name in mind, so we settled things the diplomatic way...we played rock paper scissors. Our turkey ended up with the name "Jacob".

After hanging Jacob in the window of our breakfast nook, we cut out construction paper feathers, and each took turns writing something we were thankful for. We have tried to add new feathers regularly. This has been a great reminder of our many blessings, and it's so fun to see the different things that our family members are grateful for. I was even pleasantly surprised to see that my name showed up on a few feathers. Hey, every mom likes to be appreciated! ;)

2 comments:

  1. That is one cute turkey! You are quite the artist! :) And I loved reading your kiddos' contributions. Popcorn - too funny. Thanks for sharing this, Jen! Such a fun way to display the things our families are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did something similar last year. We made a turkey and feathers. We took it to my brother's for dinner and passed out the feathers. We had everyone write what they were thankful for and taped the feathers on the turkey. Everyone love it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and ideas from YOU are simply awesome!